As in everything, so also in the pastry shop, there are trends and fashion. Lately, all on the unicorns are very hot! These are especially popular with children’s birthdays or parties. And because the joy also floods the adults, we decided to make a unicorn cake together with you. You will need some patience and a lot of pastry accessories. The whole thing looks much more complicated than it really is!
Keep all necessary ingredients and accessories ready, otherwise the preparation will take longer. Working with the fondant is similar to playing with plasticine. It is important to sprinkle the surface of the worktops with powdered sugar over and over so that it does not stick. The fondant quickly dries out and this can be seen in the surface cracks. To prevent this, spray the mass with 1 to 2 drops of water and if you have given too much of it, add powdered sugar again. Even if you have never worked with Fondant, you will soon find the right consistency.
Prepare a cake taster or a large serving dish and remember that the unicorn cake is to be stored in the refrigerator.
Make a beautiful unicorn cake for every occasion
The required ingredients and materials
For the Tortenboden:
- 315 g flour
- 315g sugar
- 315 g margarine (kept at room temperature)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
Preparing the cake base
- Preheat the oven to 160 °. Prepare two baking tins (16 cm tall). Brush the floor with grease and place enough baking paper inside.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, the margarine and the eggs well.
- Strain the flour, the baking soda and add the vanilla. Stir until a thick, homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Spread the mixture in both baking tins and bake for about 45 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the strength.
- Allow the cake base to cool slightly in the mold and then allow it to cool down completely on a gate. Remove the baking paper until the dough is still warm.
Prepare everything step by step
For the butter cream:
- 480 ml cream or whipped cream (over 30% fat content)
- 450 g of butter
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 56 gPudding – Mix
- Different food colors – pink, red, purple, blue
Preparation of butter cream
- Pour the cream and the pudding mix into a small bowl and boil with medium heat until a Mayo like consistency is obtained. Transfer the mixture to another bowl, cover with foil and leave to stand for at least 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and the powdered sugar. Add the cooled pudding and mix with the blender until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Fill a certain amount of the cream into two or three small bowls, depending on how many colors you want to have for the unicorn mane. Add the desired food color to the cream, stir well. Transfer into the syringe bags and leave in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
An easier task than you thought
- 70 g of white fondant
- 30 g Fondant (in desired color for the ears)
- 10 g of black fondant
- On request, 3 to 4 meringues
- Golden food spray
- Different curls for decorating
Tip: If you do not find any fondants of different colors, you can also use white and dye different parts with food colors.
Preparation of decoration
- Take about 45 g of the white fondant and shape it into a ball. Roll the ball with your hands to a roll that is slightly thinner on one side. Place the wooden spit on the thin side of the fondant roll and begin turning it around the spit. If the wooden spit is 25 cm long, you can make the horn 15 cm long and leave the rest of the spit free, then put it into the cake.
- Sprinkle the horn with the golden spray.
- Roll out the rest of the white fondant and use a heart cookie shape (or a glass) to cut out two shapes for the unicorn ears. With a sharp knife, the fondant heart cut through the middle to get the ears.
- Roll 10 g from the bright pink fondant and use a smaller heart shape. Cut the heart shape through the middle again. Use a brush to apply some water (acts as an adhesive) to the back of the smaller parts and glue immediately to the larger white ear parts. Press with a toothpick exactly into the middle and then with the fingers together both ends of the ear parts. Tip: From the rest of the pink fondant you can create additional decorative elements.
- From the black fondant roll two thin rolls for the eyes. You can also make some lashes out of it.
- Long wooden skewer
- Syringe with different endings
- cookie cutters
- cake spatula
The composition of the unicorn cake
- Cut the cake floors into two or three pieces, depending on the size. Line the cake floors on the cake taster by smearing some of the unstained butter cream.
- Also brush the sides of the cake with the cream and ensure a good look. Put in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to make it firm.
- Now you can begin decorating! Begin with the front of the mane. Start with the larger syringe molds and fill the empty spaces between them with the smaller one. Use the different colors as you think it is beautiful. Make a circle in the middle of the pie and put the horn on.
- Now place the ears in about 1 cm behind the horn. Decorate with pearls, hearts, etc.
- Place the eyes of the unicorn and you have already created your beautiful unicorn cake.
Tip: If you do not have enough space in the refrigerator, you can remove the horn and put it back in place before serving.
Do not just delight your children with this charming unicorn cake! Collect inspiration from our picture gallery and master a real work of art.